Inspiring Celebrations Since 2006

REAL PARTIES: Modern Garden Birthday

modern garden birthday party

Today’s featured “real party” is ridiculously cute! This contemporary Garden Party theme was created to celebrate the first birthday of Mark & Mandy’s adorable daughter, Elsie – but the look would also translate beautifully into a bridal shower, baby shower, or birthday for older girls as well…

modern garden birthday party

From the get-go, Mandy paid attention to all those little details. How cute are the invitations pictured above?! That’s the birthday girl featured on the invite, wearing one of the flower headbands that were the inspiration for the entire party.

modern garden birthday party

Coordinating paper patterns were used throughout the party – on everything from the lining of the invitation envelope to the party hats, cupcake tower, and loads of butterfly silhouettes that adorned the windows, walls, and flower arrangements. Acrylic discs were also backed with colorful papers to create the cool table motif pictured above and below.

modern garden birthday party

The centerpiece of the table was a 5 tiered cupcake display, made from scratch using cake discs, cake pillars, hot glue and screws, and decorative paper.

modern garden birthday party

modern garden birthday party

Little bottles of bubbles embellished with paper and butterflies made fun favors for little ones…

modern garden birthday party

And here’s a peek at the inspiration that kicked off all this wonderful creativity…those cute flower headbands (from the $1 bins at Target, by the way), and of course, the guest of honor, herself!

modern garden birthday party

Amazing party, Mandy – thanks for sharing!

Alternative Text

60 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Modern Garden Birthday”

1. amy says:

This is ridiculously cute, Mandy. I’m in love with the acrylic disc table topper. Just brilliant!

– Amy

2. Lily says:

This is seriously the sweetest party ever! The bubbles are adorable – and I love the butterflies on the wall!! Great job!

3. alison says:

i love the m&m’s in the glasses!

4. Mimi says:

I love how you are posting all of these real parties! Keep them coming, this one is gorgeous! :)

5. Shelly G. says:

I love this little party theme… Every part of it is darling… It makes me want to have a party :)

6. Julie Hansen says:

where did you do the beautiful invitations?
    Thanks for sharing such a darling party idea.

7. Indoor Water Fountains says:

You party was an interesting one. All the pictures are really cute especially the kids with flower headband. It makes the feel of the garden party.

8. Carrie says:

Wow! I love this party! Its absolutely adorable. My favorite thing is that beautiful cupcake stand that Mandy created. It makes me want to have a little girl! Great job.

9. […] Elsie’s birthday party was featured on Hostess with the Mostess (Real Parties). Hostess is one of my daily reads for lots of fabulous party […]

10. Jenn says:

Hi Julie –

Mandy actually designed the invitations herself, and here’s what she said about the production:

“For the invites I printed the invite and then printed the pattern on pink paper for the back. I spraymounted the pieces together. I made envelope inserts to bring the patterned paper in, and used Zazzle for the custom Elsie stamps.”

Cheers,
    Jenn :)

11. megan says:

Where did all those butterflies come from? Handcut? Various size hole punches? Store bought? I must know! They are too cute!

12. Jenn says:

Hi Megan –

Here’s Mandy’s answer to your butterflies question:

“The butterflies on the bubbles (tiny ones) were punched using a martha stewart punch, but the other butterflies were all hand cut. I found a “butterfly template” online and then cut it out on bristol board and used it to trace onto the paper. We cut and cut butterflies so we could have some swarms through the house. :)

One quick note: all of the paper was from Hobby Lobby – scrapbook paper which was patterned on the front and a matching color on the back so there was visual interest from all angles. We had them up in our house for a couple of weeks. ”

– Jenn :)

13. Maryann says:

Love the party. Very cute. i’m throwing my son’s 1st bday next month and we are doing a barnyard theme. How did you make the cupcake stand? I’m planning on making cupcakes for his party and would love to display on something similar. Thanks.

14. Jeannine says:

Hi Loved your party. what did you use to hang the butterflies so that it didn’t hurt your paint on the walls?

15. Leslie Swan says:

That was such a cute party idea! Much different from the typical Elmo birthday party!

16. Michelle says:

I love it. We need a Animal theme one! :)

17. Angela M says:

Can you give some more information please? I am wondering where can I find the acrylic discs? This is beautiful! Thank you!

18. ashleyD says:

i’m AMAZED to say the least! so beautiful!!

19. Jenn says:

Hi Angela –
    I’m going to check in with Mandy and see if I can get that info on the acrylic discs for you…keep you posted!

Jenn

20. michelle d says:

This party makes my mouth water! LOVE it! I would love info on the acrylic discs as well. Thank YOU

21. Jenn says:

Some answers from Mandy in regards to the questions above…

The acrylic discs were purchased at my local plastics store (Colorado Plastics). I used to live in California and Tap Plastics was a great source (I think they have an online store as well).

On the butterflies, I used Poster tack (Elmer’s poster tack) – I had the butterflies up for a couple of weeks and there was no mess or marks.

I made the cupcake stand using cake supplies all purchased at Michael’s Craft store. I used cardboard cake discs and cake pillars. I assembled each layer, added the pillars, and covered the end with a 1″ strip of patterned paper. I hot glued the layers and then added wood screws to give extra support.

***

Thanks for the info, Mandy!

22. Mary says:

HI there!
    How were the enevelope address labels made? They are so cute!

23. Jenn says:

Hi Mary –
    Mandy actually custom designed both the invites and labels herself. You can print your own labels at home using label sheets that feed directly into your printer. (or find someone as talented as Mandy to create them for you!)

24. Nicole says:

I love this theme. I want something very girly for my little one when she turns one but I hate all those cheesy themes that usually have to do with cartoon characters. I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas for the acrylic discs. We do not have a plastics place around the area where I live. I am not sure what to use instead. I like the concept of the discs but not sure what to use in place of the arcrylic discs. Looking for some ideas! Thanks!!

25. jenny says:

Nicole,

I am copying this darling theme for my daughters birthday this weekend. Instead of using the acrylic discs, I bought cardboard cake supports (the cardboard that a cake sits on) I got mine at Hobby Lobby and they come in 4-6 different sizes. Follow the instuctions on how to wrap the foil on them, just you are using paper instead of the foil. It is really easy.

26. tonya says:

Hi! I love the flower headband. Did Mandy make those or is there a website in which they can be purchased from?

27. Ruth Deal says:

Please inform me if you cut out those butterflies yourself or where they purchased?

28. Ruth Deal says:

Please inform me whether you cut out those butterfly’s yourself or where they purchased

29. Lucia says:

It’s beautiful!!!Could you let me know where you got the invations

30. jasen says:

perfect for garden party. i love this creative theme for birthday party. its gives a thumbs up on SU.

31. Suzanne says:

Hello, i am throwing my daughters 1st birthday party in June and think this idea is amazing – not to mention perfect for what i am looking to do – can you direct me to where you found the party hats and coordinating supplies – i just think the colors are so vibrant – thank you!

32. jenn s. says:

Hi Suzanne –

Mandy actually made all the supplies from scrapbook paper! She cut the butterflies, hats, and other details from 12″ sheets of scrapbook paper. The paper is from American Crafts™. You can find it at most scrapbook supply stores – and there’s also a website called Scrappin’ Grannies that carries their entire collection online:

To make your own party hats, cut the paper into a half circle shape like this: http://familycrafts.about.com/library/projects/bltemplpartyht.htm – then roll into a cone and glue the edges together. Staple a thin piece of elastic to both sides… and done!

Also – if you read the comments above – Mandy answered a bunch of questions about the other decorative details and how she made them.

Good luck! :)

33. Suzanne says:

hello – i was wondering if u had any ideas for boys who would be attending the party as well – the flower head bands are great for the girls, but i am stumped on what to do for the boys – any good advice?

34. Christy says:

I love the idea too! I was wondering what program you used to create the invitations. I have a picture of my little one to use, but don’t know how to make the picture so that it is just of my child’s outline without anything in the background, like you did.

35. nazar says:

very nice blogs and very quality images..thanks

36. Janet says:

Eberything looks awesome, especially the invites. Do you know what computer application/ software she used to design the invitations?

37. jenn s. says:

Hi Janet –
    I’m not 100% sure, but since Mandy is a graphic designer by trade, I’d bet my money on one of the Adobe programs – Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign. You could accomplish that layout with any of those programs…

If you don’t have those design programs though, you can find super cute birthday invitations with a similar style at tinyprints.com and polkadotdesign.com :)

38. Nikki says:

This is FANTASTIC! I absolutely love this idea. You have a gift. Definitely unique. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!

39. Christina says:

Thank you so much for posting this! My baby girl is turning 1 this month and my mother-in-law and I are planning her party together. We were not very impressed with any of the ‘packaged’ themes out there and we decided on doing a garden theme with flowers, butterflies and ladybugs since her birthday is in May. I decided to do a search to see if I could find any cute ideas, and by finding this site I have hit the jackpot!
    Thank you again!

40. jenn s. says:

You’re very welcome, Christina! Thanks for the sweet comment! :)

41. blanca says:

Does Mandy still have all of the party supplies? If so do you think she’ll sell it? Please let me know! Thanks! (:

42. jenn s. says:

Blanca –
    I’m not sure, but you can try contacting her via her blog! Here’s the link: http://www.markandmandy.com/blog/

43. nikki says:

where did you get the little headbands? any ideas what I could give the little boys instead of the headbands??

so, SO, so cute!!!

44. Seastiller says:

Where did you get the pattern for the butterfly cut outs?? I just love the chic simplicity!

45. kathryn says:

Hello! I totally love the theme for your daughters 1st birthday! My daughters theme is going to be gerber daisies….can you please tell me where you purchase your daughters daisy headband she word for the party! It’s so adorabel!

46. samantha says:

I think this is the most darling set-up I’ve ever seen! I’d love to know what you used to hang the butterflies?

47. angela says:

i’m so excited to have found a more “modern” 1st birthday theme!! i have twin girls that are turning one next month and i am so excited to get started on the decorations! could you please tell me the name of the paper “pattern” that was used. i’ve been searching and can’t find it. if discontinued i might be able to find it on ebay but don’t want to search thousands of entries! thanks again for posting!!!

48. gigi says:

can i ask what kind of camera you are using? these pics are so crisp and vibrant. thank you. i love your party ideas…the invitations are sooo cute!

49. Christin says:

I have been looking everywhere to find those adorable flower headbands from Target. I remember them in the stores earlier this year and now that I’m trying to plan my daughter’s 1st b-day party in Oct, I can’t find them. Do you know where I might be able to find them or do you have any extras you would be willing to sell me? Or even a scu # on them and I could have Target see if they could locate any. I think them may get these in every year but I don’t have a clue where they get them from. I was hoping someone was trying to sell some.

50. Christin says:

can you also tell me where you found the pink tin pail you but the flower suckers in? Thanks!

51. Jenny says:

The theme is simply fabulous…I love it and I am so excited to use some of these ideas for my daughter’s first birthday…the uniqueness of these ideas is priceless! What sizes are the acrylic discs that were used and how did you get the paper on them and cut perfectly to fit along the edges?

52. natasha says:

BEAUTIFUL!! Do you have any ideas for a first birthday in the fall for a girl. I’m looking for something simple and modern like your design.

53. Jenny says:

I am using a lot of these ideas for my daughter’s first birthday in a few weeks….I decided who cares if it is fall…I’m using the “girlie” colors! On the scrapping grannies website you can order a pack of paper called “play” it has some REALLY good modern fall color paper for some inspiration!

54. Jill says:

I love this idea and I am using it with a few twists of my own! I am trying to find the acrylic disc that were used, but I am having now luck. I have looked everywhere online. Could use please tell me what width the discs are? Thanks!

55. Claire says:

Wow!! This is the cutest birthday party setup ever. Such a fantastic theme and i love all the details, the butterflies are going to be the inspiration behind my daughters next birthday party. Thanks for sharing and great job!!!!!! It’s a pleasure just to look at the pictures :)

56. KRISTIN says:

I am interested in what kind of food she served at this party, I love this and am planning on copying her theme, but I am caught up on what kind of food to serve. I can’t make it out in the picture.

57. Shanda says:

I love your acrylic table runner. I was wondering what did you use to get the paper to stick to the acrylic? I’m really wanting to do this for my daughters birthday next month, but don’t want to use something that will show.

58. T says:

Yes- I also would like to know what kind of food was served at this party. LOVE LOVE LOVE all the ideas.

59. Martine Cruz says:

it is a great idea. Do you think it would work for a ten year old girl’s birthday party?

60. […] DECOR I love the pretty color scheme of this first birthday party seen at Hostess With the Mostess, which features inexpensive (and easy!) touches like lollipop […]