Inspiring Celebrations Since 2006
Kids Birthday 02.19.09

Fabulous Rainbow Cake Tutorial

rainbow cake

The Omnomicon has a fabulous step-by-step Rainbow Cake tutorial and the colorful pictures alone are positively drool-worthy! This recipe would be so much fun for a color party, a 60’s theme party, an art-lover’s birthday, or anytime you feel like brightening up the dessert table a bit.

rainbow cake

You could also take the same concept and apply it to just a few colors or a different type of palette – maybe various shades of green for St. Patrick’s day, red/white/blue for 4th of July, or the birthday girl’s favorite colors, whatever they may be…

rainbow cake

This next pic is one of my favorites… artistic, colorful, & all around delicious:

rainbow cake

The baked cake looks so great it almost seems like it would be hard to cover it with frosting, don’t you think?! The pretty colors come through again when the cake is cut and served though (see top pic, above).

rainbow cake

For complete details, check out the full tutorial. Happy Baking!

Alternative Text

84 responses to “Fabulous Rainbow Cake Tutorial”

1. reilly says:

this is so cool looking! & yummy! i think i will make for my niece’s bday!

2. elle denise says:

This will be PERFECT for my 31st bday!…

3. Tori says:

I LOVE this cake and these photos are simply amazing! What a great idea, you could definitely apply this process and make a cake to match any party theme.

4. NO WAY! I just made this cake a few weeks ago for my daughter’s art birthday party! I even took similar pix (not that awesome one of the batter rimmed bowls, though!).
    I should have posted it on my site so I could have taken credit for it first! ;)
    It got a HUGE wow factor response, btw!

5. Sabina says:

My youngest daughter always says that her favorite color is “rainbow” – she would love this cake!!

6. Emily F says:

wow, I am LOVIN’ that cake.

7. this is absolutely fantastic! i am totally in love with this cake and can’t wait to try it.

8. I have to make this cake! It’s too gorgeous not to!!

I think I’ll make this for St. Patrick’s Day – pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Love it!

9. aleta says:

OMG!

Okay, seriously, I subscribe to this the hwtm blog, I never plan a party without a consultation with hwtm, and even made it out to the Boston Hostessing event.

So imagine my excitement when, today, on my rss feed, right there, are my very own pictures with all kinds of nice words sprinkled around them. Thank you SO much for sharing my recipe with more people (and also remembering to link me! ;)

10. Britney says:

This is awesome! I can’t wait to try it out. You have the best website ever:)

11. Jewell says:

SO BEAUTIFUL

12. fabulous rainbow cake « clarissa.jane says:

[…] Comment! spotted: Fabulous Rainbow Cake Tutorial | Hostess with the Mostess®. […]

13. KinaBolina says:

OMG! This is the coolest cake ever!

14. kathryn says:

wow so cute i love it

15. Chris says:

OMG !!!

Is this for real ?!! the kids will be bouncing off the walls with all them E numbers?!!?

16. ellecupcake says:

This is soooo great! I have been wanting to make cupcakes like this for a while!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO THANKYOU!

17. jenn s. says:

Aleta –
    Thank YOU so much for creating such a great tutorial to share! Your pictures turned out awesome!
    Jenn :)

18. This is color lover’s dream dessert! Not sure I have the patience to make it, but just looking at it is very gratifying!

19. Suzie says:

The BEST dessert I’ve seen in a long time. I can’t wait to make it!!

20. Kim O. says:

Coolest cake ever!!! Love it!

21. Courtney-Gift Mommy says:

LOVE it!

22. Rebecca says:

All that food coloring doesn’t change the texture or the taste does it?

23. Live. Laugh. Love. » Blog Archive » ♥ Rainbow Cake… says:

[…] I found the most awesome recipe ever today on the site Hostess with the Mostess. […]

24. Heather says:

Great idea! I’m going to surprise my husband with a purple and yellow cake during a Lakers game next week

25. Joanna says:

Gorgeous photos!!!

26. jenn s. says:

Rebecca –
    I don’t think the food coloring should make much of a difference in the taste/texture, but Aleta would be a good person to ask. I haven’t made this yet myself, but a couple people have mentioned to me that they’ve had this exact cake before and both said it was “delicious” and got rave reviews :)

Heather – fantastic idea about the purple/yellow Lakers cake! I have a friend whose husband is completely obsessed with the Lakers…I’m going to pass your idea along to her too :)

27. designergirl007 says:

This is the best idea. My son will LOVE this bright colored cake. What a great idea!

28. marpha says:

i feel so cool right now just cuz i KNOW how to do it…
    hmmm

i wonder if we have flour…

29. Kuertzal Waltz. says:

this cake is gorgeous! I was thinking of doing something like this for a theme party. I bet it tastes delicious :]

30. That looks so yummy, I wish I could have a piece of it right now! Just when I thought nothing was better than homemade cake, I see this and realized a pretty COLORFUL homemade cake tops it all! Thanks for the tutorial…I’m not too much of a baker, but this looks like it’s definitely worth trying!

31. Thrice says:

Cool recipe!!!!!! :D I’ll definitely bake that cake!

32. Nancy Musser says:

Very cool cake…can’t wait to make it for my little girls party!! The other moms will be so jealous!!

33. Nancy says:

This is Fabulous!!! My kids are all grown, but I will be making this soon for SOMEONE ~ ANYONE!!!!! Thanks for sharing and I am soooo GLAD I found your Blog – it’s wonderful!

34. lyndsay says:

BRIGHT AND LOVELY!! ooooh can’t wait to try making these again…

35. Elizabeth says:

My mother used to make cakes like this for my sisters and me when we were little. She would make it more like a quilt with the colors side by side. Her colors were not this bright, though. My friends loved it!

36. nixdminx says:

I tried this for my daughter’s party was great. I also did a post on how to do a party on a credit crunch budget…it’s here

I also feature cooking on my blog for the financially challenged and also wheat and gluten free.

37. Tiny Talk | St. Patrick’s Day Recipes says:

[…] Rainbow Cake from Hostess Blog […]

38. KP says:

I just made this cake last night, and it was quite easy, and looks absolutely beautiful! I enjoyed every step of the process, but now the only problem is that it is so pretty I can’t stop eating it! I still can’t get over how good it looks.

39. Design by Kendall » Blog Archive » Taste the Rainbow! How to Make a Deliciously Colorful Cake says:

40. […] Make a fabulous rainbow cake: Talks for itself and it probably the greatest thing on this […]

41. Ayana Harris says:

I absolutly luv this cake n right now im in class and im writting a how to essay… and this is going to be the thing im going to write about because to be it is beautiful and i really enjoy it … after im done writting the essay im going to make it 4 myself actually i might even do it before im finish with the essay… because my mom is thinking about making a cake today …. so yeah im goin 2 do it today…

42. Lindsey says:

I made this cake a month ago to test out the idea and it came out great :) I am going to make one again for my daughter’s 1st birthday this friday

43. aurora5us says:

how did you get such a shiny top? is it the lighting you are using?

44. Kim Randall says:

Love the bright and boldness of the colors

45. lance says:

this is a great and delisious recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. Alexandria-Lynn says:

This is wonderful for my party!

For my 14th b-day, I’m having a rainbow themed b-day, this article helped alot!

I’ll tell everyone who asks about it.

47. This cake was a big hit at my son’s 1st birthday. Just a warning, though: if your child hasn’t been exposed to food coloring yet, be wary! We spent the rest of his birthday in the ER treating a serious allergic reaction.

48. Sophie says:

Ok, I don’t wanna sound crazy. First, I had a camp at the end with potluck day, YUM, and we had to chose deserts. So i was looking for something wacky. So, i went with this cake. WOW, it look beautiful and I hope everyone likes it tomorrow!! I am still waiting for it to get out of the oven but it is very easy but the only thing is that who ever wrote this wasn’t that specific enough for me. I had some troubles, but thanks.
    Sophie =)

49. Emily says:

I’m making this cake for my boyfriend’s birthday. Both of us are huge cake fans – I think this will be the such a fun, original cake! Can’t wait! Thanks :-)

50. Rhiannah says:

I really want this recipe can you send the cake to the shops over to Perth AND YUMMY
    :-)

51. Michelle says:

Oh gosh that looks A) yummie B) really cool! I think I may make this at my fisrt House Welcoming Party! Baking in my new kitchen Wahoo!

52. michelle says:

i love this cake made it lots of times!!! going to make it again soon!!!

53. kaykay.danZe.revolution. says:

omg. this is so pretty…
    it tastes awesome. i love rainbows and i no wat your thinking not that kind of way. it tastes even better knowing that it is pretty…
    LOL!!!!!!! lmao

IN LOVing mem. Dody Marteniez

54. Dawn says:

I made a very large cake w/ 2 10″ 2 8″ and 2 6″ layers, and the icing was very bright a diff on each layer, and when we cut into it ALL the girls and their parents were full of oohs and ahhs….. Not once did I hear that there were too many artificial colors in it and that their child was going to die from it.. It was a GREAT success…… beautiful job!!

55. Brandi says:

oh, i just love rainbows. they are so **** beautiful. haha. **** **** ****

56. lozza says:

wow this cake is so cute i love it thanks 4 the idea YAY (:

57. leah says:

i loved the idia apart from when making it the cake tasted mare like the food colouring than the cake :(

58. shorty says:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

59. […] few weeks ago I was blown away when I saw the rainbow cake posted on Hostess Blog. I knew right away that I had to try it for myself! I’ve been waiting […]

60. Jordyn says:

hi this is an amazing cake!!
    i cant wait to try it!!
    in the recipes however why would you use sprite or ginger ale
    ive never seen a cake with soda in it!
    crazy but probably delicous!
    please email why the soda is involved if you have any time on your hands!!
    thanks a bunch!!
    hersheys and kisses!!
    -Jordyn

61. jill says:

what an inspiration!
    thank you so very much!

62. Jessica says:

This looks awesome!! I’m going to make it for my son’s birthday party!!! He thinks it’s the coolest looking cake ever! Thanks for sharing! :)

63. maryam says:

FANTASTIC !!~

love it really <3

64. colorboard #6 - little bit heart :: custom papergoods and wedding design :: annapolis maryland says:

[…] rainbow inspiration lately over on Pinterest and around the blogs- how awesome would this be for a party (rainbow cake!) or a super fun wedding (swooning over those mismatched […]

65. […] you make an entire party out of it. For The Munchkin’s first birthday party, it was this rainbow cake tutorial I saw on Hostess with the Mostess before she was even born. I’d forgotten about it, & […]

66. Oris says:

i love it (: super awesome!

67. Sneha says:

gr8………cool………. yummy……………..i made it on my frnds birthday…………….lovely……….

68. macayla says:

i love the rainbow and i have a very colorful life and i like it that way:)******

69. Colorful cake | Pydltda says:

[…] Fabulous Rainbow Cake Tutorial // Hostess with the Mostess®The Omnomicon has a fabulous step-by-step Rainbow Cake tutorial and the colorful pictures alone are positively drool-worthy! This recipe would be so much fun for a color party, a 60′s theme party, an art-lover’s birthday, or anytime you feel like brightening up the dessert table a bit. […]

70. Taste the Rainbow | The Plunge Project says:

[…] Amy Atlas Pretty Pretty Yum Yum Mangia Bene Pasta (recipe here too) My Recipes (ooo one here too) Hostess with the Mostess (and a tutorial […]

71. cereal says:

Superb!! awesome pictures as well!

72. Kelsey says:

I loooooooove it! YUM! :)

73. Ashley says:

I made this tonight with my mom for my birthday…. And well lets just say…… TOTAL FAIL!!! I was soooo disappointed! The cakes cracked and crumbled everywhere taking it out of the baking pans. I don’t know if whoever put the instructions on here maybe left some steps out or what… But something is NOT right.. I followed the directions perfectly.. and like i said failure. Taste good, but looks HORRIBLE. And the recipe makes way too much icing. Somebody needs to redue the recipe… Sorry, but if you can’t tell I’m a little upset… We spent hours doing this and the way it turned is sooo not like the picture. I do not recommend to anyone.

74. A Rainbow Art Party | says:

[…] that I really wish had turned out. The inside of the cake was a beautiful rainbow of colors. Here is an example of the rainbow cake from another blog. To achieve the rainbow effect, simply separate […]

75. […] to make 3 cakes, then wash and dry the pans and make 3 more.  So I found this rainbow cake on Hostess with the Mostess who links to Omnomicon’s tutorial for making this fun and easy rainbow cake that only […]

76. India says:

perfect for my baby’s first birthday! smashcake sheek

77. Cut Liza Djohan says:

I like this page MUCH!

78. cakelover says:

Lackling inspiration, I googled ‘fabulous cake’ and that is exactly what I got. THANKS SO MUCH – can’t wait to get baking!

79. […] a small 6″ cake pan to make the smash cake, colored the batter in various colors to make it RAINBOW style, and kept the icing white to really make the batter colors pop once you cut into the cake. I love […]

80. […] dessert, I tried my hand at the rainbow cake featured on HWTM. It turned out great. The simple white frosting disguised the explosion of color inside, which was […]

81. Sweet Sixteen: Rainbows | Metro Gallery says:

[…] few of my own! Hope you enjoy this week’s rainbow roundup! (Left to Right, Top to Bottom) Rainbow Bright Cake, Rainbow Jello, Rainbow Pancakes, Rainbow Layer Cake Piano Rainbow Cake, Rainbow Pop Tarts, […]

82. EPIC Rock Climbing Birthday Party Theme | EpicMom.net says:

[…] Rainbow Layer Cake Tutorial […]

83. FUN DAY SUNDAY and My First Blog Post: Rock Climbing Birthday Party Theme! | EpicWorkingMom.com says:

[…] Rainbow Layer Cake Tutorial […]