Barbecue, Bacon, & Blue Burgers
- 1½ cups Ketchup
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons pureed canned chipotle chilies in adobo
- 1½ tablespoons yellow American mustard
RED ONION MAYO
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemonjuice
- 2 pounds freshly ground pork
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 12 thick bacon slices
- 6 cracked-wheat hamburger buns split
- 8 ounces crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- 3 cups shredded crisp iceberg lettuce
- 18 bread-and-butter pickle slices
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
To make the glaze, combine all of the ingredients in a small, heavy fire-proof saucepan. Place on the grill rack and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Transfer about half of the sauce to a small bowl to use for drizzling on the finished burgers. Set the remainder aside in the pan for glazing the patties.
To make the mayonnaise, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Place the bacon in a fire-proof skillet and cook on the grill rack, draining and discarding the excess gat, until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain well. When cool enogh to handle, crumble the bacon.
To make the patties, combine the pork, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possable to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the buns.
When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack and grill until browned on the bottoms, about 3 minutes. Turn the patties and brush the browned sides with the glaze. Continue grilling, turning and brushing frequently with the glaze, until done to preference, bout 5 minutes longer for medium. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly. During the last minute of cooking, top each patty with an equal portion of the cheese to warm.
To assemble the burgers, drizzle the reserved glaze on the bottom halves of the toast buns and spread the toasted side of the buns and spread the toasted side of the bun tops with the mayonnaise. On each bun bottom, add ½ cup of the lettuce, a patty, an equal portion of the crumbled bacon, and 3 pickle slices. Add the bun tops and serve.