Braised radicchio and smoked mozzarella bruschetta
Prep time: Preparation Time 10 Minutes Cooking Time 15 Minutes |
- 1 large head radicchio (about 10 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 heaped teaspoon sugar
- 6 slices sourdough or county-style bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small smoked mozzarella (about 5 ounces)
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the broiler to high. Quarter the radicchio and discard the tough heart. Shred each quarter into thin slices.
Heat the olive oil in a large lidded saucepan over a medium heat. Add the radicchio and until it starts to wilt. Add the thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar cover the pan, and gently cook for a bout 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent it from burning; you want the radicchio softened and the vinegar reduced. Remove the lid after about 5 minutes.
Toast the bread an while the slices are still hot rub with garlic. Keep warm on the pan.
Grate the mozzarella (or slice the gorgonzola if using). Divide the radicchio between the toast slices. Scatter over the cheese and broil on a high heat until the cheese has just melted, about 2 minutes.
Remove the bruschetta from the broiler and drizzle over a little olive oil. Serve immediately.