Aloha to 90 years! When Jose turned the big 9-0, his granddaughter, Gizelle Perry of Party Pieces by Perry, threw him a Vintage Hawaiian Luau Party inspired by his roots – he grew up and served in the Hawaiian military! From the roasted whole pig and tropical flavored desserts to the vintage Hawaiian signs and island style outfits, Jose’s heartwarming birthday celebration was such a wonderful representation of family and culture. See all the vibrant pictures from Megan Long Photography below!
PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:
- Bright floral centerpieces in pineapple “vases” + “Big Kahuna” chair for Jose
- Sprite “Ocean Water” served in coconut cups, Filipino roast pig & Hawaiian style catering
- Vintage Hawaiian inspired printable food labels, invitations and photo booth signs from Just A Little Sparkle
- Coconut cake, mango cheesecakes, piña colada cupcakes & “Aloha” and pineapple painted macarons
- DIY Oversized wooden photo wall, “Get Lei’d” Station and Memory Story Activity
PARTY DETAILS, as told by Gizelle…
My grandfather turned 90! He grew up in Hawaii, and served in the military, but has not been back since! How else should his 90th birthday be celebrated? Let us have a luau in Southern California! I picked blue and orange hues to create a boyish but colorful Hawaiian vibe. I specifically requested the pineapple centerpieces and Fitzgerald’s delivered beautifully!
Signs such as Get Lei’d here, the Big Kahuna, arrow sign, and NO shoes.. etc were made from boards from Michael’s and the use of Silhouette (vinyl-cutting) as well as the Aloha to 90 years sign. It was difficult to find old pictures of grandpa, but I wanted him to relive and see all the memories he had created (Grandpa has Alzheimer’s) with the photo wall. I had included pictures from Hawaii, the military, when he was youthful with Grandma, and pictures with the growing family.
I used the rustic hutch for guests to write down memories of Grandpa. They were all so heart-warming to read.
Guests enjoyed the catered Hawaiian food, as well as the Filipino roast pig! (Grandpa is Filipino-Hawaiian) Ocean Water was Sprite with blue food coloring. Everyone enjoyed the Surf Sweets dessert bar with the coconut, pineapple and mango elements. Look at that cake by The French Confection Co! The bar was also a great photo op backdrop with the DIY Hawaiian signs, which included funny ones such as Hawaiian-speak or the translation for foreigner or Filipino or Asian.
The party lasted long into the late afternoon due to the live Hawaiian music provided. Guests were dancing the luau and Grandpa was even singing!
- Styling, Rustic Furniture, Décor: Party Pieces by Perry / @partypiecesbyperry
- Photography: Megan Long Photography / @meganlongphotos
- Centerpieces, Lei and Flowers: Fitzgerald’s Flowers and Events / @fitzgeralds_floral_events
- Paper Goods (Invites, Banners, to-go stickers and Menu Cards) : Just A Little Sparkle / @justalittlesparkle
- Cake, Macarons, and Cupcakes: The French Confection Co / @thefrenchconfectionco
- Mini Coconut Cream Pies: Bakin’ Dots / @bakindots
- Mango Tart and Mango Cheesecakes: Baked by Abby / @_bake.d_
- Bamboo Wall, Raffia Table Skirt, Coconut Cups: (borrowed from) Sweet Jelly Parties / @sweetjellyparties
- Roast Pig: King Solomon’s Lechon (562) 773-1392
- Catering: Iwalanis Catering (310) 867-9796
- Décor: Michaels, Silhouette America
- Oar, tiki bar sign, surf’s up sign: Homegoods
- Nautical decor; leaves; blue starfish: Save On Crafts
- Brown take-out containers: Papermart
- Honeycomb lanterns: Just Artifacts