It’s that time of year again… when we start to think about all the possibilities that come with a brand new year and a fresh start!
Inspired by this exact sentiment, Maureen Walker of Party a la Mo gathered up some good friends and hosted this wonderfully vibrant New Year’s Dream Board Crafting Party.
What a fun and UPLIFTING excuse for a girls day, right?!
I love how each of the guests chose one specific word as the focal point of their dream board. This post feels especially timely to me, too, because I had dinner with a friend from high school last night – first time we’d seen each other in 9 years! – and we had this exact conversation about choosing a “word for the year”.
There’s something about simplifying a goal to the core that really helps to bring everything into focus.
Party Highlights to look out for:
- Colorful Balloon Garland made from a kit. Simple to put together and such a big visual impact!
- Gorgeous food, including a beautifully plated Golden Beet Carpaccio
- Acrylic blocks with designs featuring the 2017 words of the year
- Bright floral displays featuring pomegranates and mandarin oranges.
- Custom cookies + personalized drink stirrers
Party Details, as told by Maureen…
I’m a very visual person, so for several years now I’ve been piecing together an annual vision board to sum up my dreams for the year and keep them in a prominent place. To keep my board focused, I also like to work around my one word for the year. For 2017, I wanted to share the experience of creating my vision board with a few of the creative ladies that I’m lucky to have in my life.
I planned this New Years Dream Board Party for 6 of us to get together and plan for the year ahead. We chose our words, crafted our dream boards, and had so much fun in the process. As it turns out, we all agreed that it was a very relaxing experience. It was an opportunity to take a break from all of the holiday stress, focus on ourselves, and have a little time with the girls.
My one word for 2017 is CREATE.
I want to create art, opportunities, healthy habits, and strong relationships. I want to create a life I love, and the only person responsible for doing that is me! I feel like this word will empower me to make some important changes in my life. Other words that the guests chose were shine, happy, love, family, and dream.
Each guest got a notebook to write down their thoughts about their word and the focus of their dream board. I had 16×20″ framed cork boards available for everyone to use too. I asked them to bring any items or photos from home that they knew they wanted to include on their boards. We went through piles of magazines looking for inspiring images and words to use.
My board also included my family’s holiday photo card right in the middle. We are sending out New Years cards this year, so that worked out perfectly. Everything I do is for that family, so it’s important to me to put them right in the center of the dreams that I have for my future.
The event took place at The Mint Studio, a beautiful local spot for gathering and crafting. I don’t like to do things in a small way, so we had lots of pretty details to make the morning memorable.
I wish you and yours a beautiful 2017! Thanks for following along with my creative journey.
- Venue: Mint Studio (@mintstudiosd)
- Styling: Party a la Mo (@partyalamo)
- Photography: Sarah Tolson Photography (@sarahtolson)
- Acrylic blocks, notebooks and New Years cards: Tiny Prints (@tinyprints)
- Food: Crudo http://crudopl.com (@crudobypascallorange)
- Cake: Jenny Wenny Cakes (@jennywennycakes)
- Cookies: Southern Belle Specialties (@southernbellespecialties)
- Flowers: Blooming to Inspire (@bloomingtoinspire)
- Balloon Garland: One Stylish Party (@onestylishparty)
- Cake topper and drink stirs: Jenn and Jules Designs (@jennandjulesdesigns)
- Candyfetti: Sweets Indeed (@sweetsindeed)
- Guests: Katie of @justaddsunshine | Phyllis of @phyllissadesign | Jayme of @mintstudiosd | Jen of @jenpacelladesign