This homemade baby chick smash cake is perfect for a Farm Themed First Birthday and *almost* too cute to eat!
With little ones in mind, it’s decorated with soft foods like blueberries and soft-boiled carrots. Of course, you can switch up the ingredients however you like, especially depending on who you’re serving it to…
I think this cake would also be darling for kids older than 1 or as part of a regular dessert table. In those cases, I’d recommend swapping out the soft-boiled carrots for orange candy clay or similar. Something tells me that older kids will appreciate that. ;)
BABY CHICK SMASH CAKE
- 1 box of White Cake Mix
- 6” Cake Pans
- 2 tubs of White Frosting
- Finely Shredded Coconut
- Soft-boiled Carrot
1. Prepare the cake as directed on the box, and divide the batter into thirds. Bake in 6” cake pans to create separate 3 cake layers.
2. Level the cakes with a knife so they’ll stack easily, then stack and frost between the layers.
3. Use a knife to round the edges of the top layer into a rounded dome shape.
4. Apply a base coat (or “crumb coat”) of frosting to the outside of the stacked cakes, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Apply a top layer of white frosting to the cake, then sprinkle with finely shredded coconut for a fluffy “feathers” texture.
6. To decorate, use blueberries for the eyes, and cut a soft-boiled carrot into small shapes for the beak, feet, and head “comb” on the chick.