These DIY Jellyfish lanterns will make SUCH a fun impact at your mermaid party or any ocean or “under the sea” inspired party theme! They’re also super pretty AND surprisingly quick to make. 🙌
The most important thing is to use the right types of ribbons. Wired ribbon will create the pretty “ruffled” look, while sheer ribbon adds that translucent vibe that real jellyfish are so famous for. I also added some clear beaded stands for extra texture and sparkle.
Hang these pretty jellyfish lanterns from the ceiling, a backyard trellis, or any area of your party that could use some extra “oomph”. 😉 You can also mix up the sizes and make “baby” ones, giant ones, etc. (“Mom + baby” jellyfish sets would be darling for an Under the Sea baby shower!)
DIY Jellyfish Decorations
- paper lanterns (8” and 10”)
- wired ribbon (1.5” wide)
- sheer ribbon (5/8” to 1.5” wide)
- clear beaded strands(optional)
- hot glue gun
- fishing wire for hanging
1. Assemble the paper lanterns. Hot glue a horizontal layer of ribbon about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the lantern. Pinch and ruffle the ribbon as you go, using dabs of glue to secure it all the way around.
2. Cut 3 long strips of wired ribbon. Fold the ribbon, accordion-style, to create “ruffled” tentacles, and hot glue them to the bottom of the lantern, spacing them out evenly. Next, cut 4 long strips of sheer ribbon, and hot glue these to the bottom of the lantern in between the wired ribbon.
3. For the finishing touches, hang a long strand of beaded ribbon over the center wire in the bottom of the lantern, and use scissors to trim the tentacles to varying lengths.
4. Use fishing wire to hang the jellyfish so that it looks like they’re “floating” around the party!
Mermaid Birthday Party Printables
Planning an mermaid themed birthday party? Check out my Mermaid Birthday printables! They make it so EASY to add pro designer style and personalization to your event. It’s like branding for your party! 🙌Click here to shop now.