This fun & whimsical unicorn birthday cake has the magic going on inside AND out! 😉
The main rainbow part happens inside… and simple white frosting highlights these colorful layers. I also like how the cake is reminiscent of a big puffy cloud on the outside, with printable paper clouds “floating” above.
Unicorn Cake Topper
Note: The printable cake topper linked in the materials list is designed for a 1st birthday. Do you need a different age? Post a comment below and let me know. I’ll get it to you! :)
RAINBOW UNICORN BIRTHDAY CAKE
2 boxes of white cake mix
4 tubs of white frosting
marshmallows from Lucky Charms cereal
8″ round cake pans
8″ cardboard cake circle (optional)
For the cake topper: white cardstock, scissors, clear straws, hot glue gun
1. Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box. Divide the cake batter evenly amongst 4 bowls, then tint each bowl of batter a different color. (Note: If you only have 2 cake pans, split this step in half and do it twice. So you’d prepare just one box – and 2 colors – at a time.)
2. Bake in 8” round cake pans. (1 color per pan)
3. After the cakes have completely cooled, use a long serrated knife to level them off slightly at the top so that they stack evenly. Use generous amounts of white frosting between the layers when stacking.
4. Add a “crumb coat” to the outside of the cake, which is a thin and messy-looking bottom frosting layer. Refrigerate the crumb coat for an hour.
5. Add another layer of frosting to the cake. This layer should go on nice and smooth over the crumb coat. Be extra generous with the frosting on the top of the cake, and use the back of your spatula or a spoon to create peaks for a “fluffy cloudy” look.
6. Decorate the cake with star sprinkles on top and candy marshmallows on the side. These heart and rainbow marshmallows were pulled from a box of breakfast cereal!
7. For the finishing touch, cut out my Unicorn Birthday Cake Topper and hot glue the clouds and unicorn to clear straws, then insert them into the cake! (You can also use bamboo skewers or party straws, but clear straws will give more of a “floating” look.)