The phrase “truly spectacular party” was mentioned to me in a recent email, and even though that email was totally unrelated to this post, that phrase is all I could think about while working on it…
Patty Smith of Sweet Treat Stands definitely didn’t miss a beat with this first birthday party for her youngest son, Sawyer, starting with the oh-so-fitting theme of “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Fin“. And from the incredibly artistic woodworking details to the storybook-inspired sweets and gorgeous outdoor location (that tree!!), what a creative adventure this party is… I mean, there’s even a little Tom & Huck sculpture made out of book pages! I’m pretty sure even Mark Twain would be impressed. ;)
Kudos to Wendhy Jeffers Photography as well, who did an amazing job capturing all the creativity and warmth in this celebration on camera.
PARTY HIGHLIGHTS to look out for:
- Colorful Tom Sawyer tier cake, cleverly displayed on a super cool “wooden raft” cake stand
- Homemade trifles in mason jars + a grapevine wreath chandelier with distressed mason jars
- Incredible Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn “Book Sculpture” & Wooden Clothespin Dolls
- Personalized wooden hearts on the straws + beautiful custom birch wood sign
- Tom Sawyer inspired overalls on the birthday boy + an overalls piñata hanging from the tree!
PARTY DETAILS as told by Patty…
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn Birthday Party
Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to our Baby Sawyer, Happy Birthday to you! We can’t believe our baby boy is one year old already. Where did the first year go? I think most parents probably think that every year their child is another year older. But it’s true. It goes by so fast. My babies are blessings. My babies are miracles. I want to enjoy every moment I possibly can with them. I don’t want to forget a single moment. Happy Birthday Baby Bear! “Mama loves you, Mama loves you a much”.
I am so excited to share with you our lil’ baby boy’s 1st birthday celebration! Theme: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.
When we decided on a name for our lil’ guy before he was born I remembered reading the book “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” in 7th grade. To this day I still have the book report that I wrote. For some reason it’s the only book report I saved all these years. The book report is in a folder with a drawing on the front cover that I drew and colored of “Tom Sawyer” wearing denim overalls painting a wooden fence. From our baby boy’s name and this memory my ideas, party theme and party planning started.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn brought thoughts of overalls, boys playing and getting dirty, a raft, river, Mississippi River wildlife such as frogs, alligators and turtles. I thought of grass, cattails, paint, buckets, straw hats and fresh fruit. I watched the movie and read some of the book again too.
Our 3-yr old was excited to help me plan and was a big help! Whenever I plan their birthday parties or any birthday party, it doesn’t matter how simple or how detailed it is – my heart goes into it. Some people may think that having a big party or a very detailed party is a lot for a one- year old or young child but I disagree. I am celebrating the loves of my life. The day our beautiful blessing was born. I’m celebrating our family and how we’ve grown not only by an additional family member but as a whole in our experiences with each other. We’re making memories. I want to make beautiful memories. This IS a celebration to share with our family and friends! So whenever I can, I will and I hope that you will enjoy them too
Thank you SO much to my husband who is such a huge supporter in all this party planning and who is a huge help from beginning to end! I truly appreciate all that you do! Thank you to my Dad who was a big help. He was great at taking on any project I asked of him. His great baking abilities in making homemade trifles in mason jars with fresh sliced fruit for the take home party favors were a great help. Thank you to the Noyes family for arriving early and helping set up and of course to their son Christian who as usual is a big helper with the kids. Thanks to the “clean-up crew” (family and friends) too. All of you guys are GREAT! I really appreciate it, thanks!
Now to TEAM TOM SAWYER, my vendors – you guys are amazing! Every single detail was perfect. You took my concept, my vision and you perfected it. You are so talented. Thank you so much!
- Concept and Design: Party Stylist Patty Smith, Owner of Sweet Treat Stands (including the ruffled denim tablecloth, denim/burlap banner, grapevine wreath chandelier, bamboo fishing rod, book and vintage typewriter)
- Custom Wooden Raft with Muslin Fabric Sails: woodworker Don B., Sweet Treat Stands
- Photographer: Wendhy Jeffers Photography
- Fondant Cake and Cupcakes: Fairy Tale Cakes
- Custom Invitations and Accessories: The Blue Egg Events
- Custom “A Good Day OVERALLs” in Blueberry Linen and Mud Puddle Brown: Little Orange Shop
- Custom Distressed Hand Painted Mason Jars and Jute Wrapped Letter “S”: Rustic Cottage Designs
- Custom Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn Book Sculpture: Wet Canvas Art
- Custom Drawing on Birch Wood with Birthday Boy’s Name and Quote from Book: Moulage Collection– Custom Canvas Paintings: The Children’s Chateau
- Custom Paper Tissue Tassels for Wooden Utensils: Princess Approved Shop
- Custom Overalls Piñata with Straw Hat and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer Book: Double Ks 65915
- Custom Wood Tiered Stand and Personalized Log Slice: Home’n Stead
- Custom Personalized Tom Sawyer 1st Birthday Hat: Dainty Couture
- Custom Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn Wooden Clothespin Dolls on Stand: Min and Moots
- Custom Personalized Wooden Heart Straw Toppers: Stuff by Stuff
- Wooden Utensils and Retro Paper Straws: DK Delektables
- Custom Greeting Card with Lil’ Boy Fishing with his Dachshund: Victorian 1920
- Antique Finished Metal Buckets: Havenshire Downsand Beyond the Seas
- Banana Walnut Crumble Marshmallows and White Chocolate Blueberry
- Crunch Marshmallows: The Realist Mermaid
- Strawberry Vanilla Bean Macarons + Chocolate Vanilla Bean Macarons w/ Wood Grain Design: Salt City Bakery
- Crunch Top Apple Mini Pie and Toasted Pecan Mini Pie: Indayani Baked Goods
- Custom Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies: Sugary Sweet Cookies