Even if your one of your new year’s resolutions is to eat healthier after indulging in too many rich holiday treats, that doesn’t mean you still can’t enjoy something sweet once in a while… especially when it comes from a book like Cook Yourself Thin Faster, which features “lightened up” versions of favorites like Tiramisú and Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes!
Read on for Cook Yourself Thin Faster‘s yummy Strawberry Shortcake recipe… less than 200 calories per serving and the perfect sweet treat for Valentine’s Day or bridal/baby showers!
Calories 181, Fat 7g, Sodium 201mg, Sugars 10g
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. COMBINE THE FLOUR, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon sugar in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few pea-sized pieces remaining. Add milk and stir just until the mixture forms a shaggy dough.
3. DIVIDE THE DOUGH into 4 pieces in the bowl and drop onto the prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
4. MEANWHILE, combine the yogurt, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon sugar. In another bowl, combine the strawberries and remaining teaspoon of sugar.
5. LET THE SHORTCAKES cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Split each and sandwich with yogurt and strawberries.
Cook Yourself Thin Faster with Lauren Deen is available at Amazon.com for $11.99.
Pictured above… a few more treats from the Dessert chapter: Dessert Pizza, White Chocolate Delight, Mocha Mousse, and Chocolate Volcano Cakes (YUM!).
- Photography by: Evan Sung