//, Free Printables, Party Decor Projects/Get Inspired: DIY Parasol Topiaries

Get Inspired: DIY Parasol Topiaries

paper parasol tutorial

Don’t you just love it when you stumble on something fabulous by accident?

For example, while doing some research on parasol-themed centerpieces for a summer party, I came across this ultra-clever Paper Parasol Tutorial from Craft Stylish that utilizes inexpensive drink umbrellas in a party-perfect new way!

paper parasol tutorial

This idea for spring/summer parties in general – and I’m thinking the festive colors on this particular design would make it a great party decor idea for Cinco de Mayo festivities… maybe swapping out the traditional terra cotta pot for a more colorful pot/planter or using a small galvanized metal bucket (like the ones Mexican restaurants often use to serve Coronas). And for the filler at the top of the base – try sand, dry beans, or tortilla chips instead of rice.

And an easy way to modify this for a summer Luau: cover the base with tiki/hula skirt-style fringe (which you can purchase or create yourself using raffia), and fill the base with sand and sea shells. It would also be cute to mix a few tropical flower blooms in with the paper parasols at the top of the topiary.

What else could we do with this concept? =)

By |2013-05-03T16:49:57+00:00April 23rd, 2010|Cinco de Mayo, Free Printables, Party Decor Projects|

1. Kim - The TomKat Studio April 23, 2010 at 1:47 pm

What a great idea!

2. Eleanor April 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm

These are great! So festive!

3. Alexis April 23, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Love it, so colorful and fun!

4. Nicole April 23, 2010 at 2:04 pm

So cute! But what I really want to know is where that adorable teapot is from! I love it!

5. Sarah April 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Looove IT!

6. Allyson April 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Baby showers! Blue/Green/Yellow for boy, Pink/Green/Yellow for girls with coordinating ribbon! Or all white (Do they exist?) for a summer wedding. This would be cute for beach parties too. OOOooooo, juices are flowing! Love this idea.

7. The Fairy April 23, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I could see these at a carnival party too!

8. Victoria Persich April 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Im from Westtern Australia and just found this website amasing I particularly love this one. Fabulous work….

9. Pamela Smerker April 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm

How clever is that! I love the colors and the idea!

10. bilo April 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

So festive, especially with the bright colors!

11. Sarah Wedding April 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm

What a simple and eye catching idea! Perfect for an outdoor wedding shower by the pool! For a different take on this look, you could even pray paint the umbrellas gold!

12. neli April 24, 2010 at 2:30 am

Wow !!!!
    I love them!!!!

13. Courtney April 24, 2010 at 10:32 am

Love it! So festive!

14. Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} April 24, 2010 at 11:29 am

What a really cute idea! So fun and summer-y!

15. Miranda @ Howdy Stranger April 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Wow! these are fantastic! I’ve seen this done with ricepaper lamp shades as well….

16. Rowaida Flayhan April 25, 2010 at 4:56 am

lovely idea! Jenn I miss your tweets!

17. Kristy ~ Posh Pixels Design Studio April 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Fabulous! I love it!

18. Susan April 26, 2010 at 4:56 am

This is an adorable idea!

19. House of Many Hues April 26, 2010 at 5:52 am

This is such a great idea! I love the look of topiaries and have purchased many rosemary and mini-evergreen ones – all dead! I either water it too much or too little. This is a sure winner!

20. Gwen April 26, 2010 at 6:36 am

This is so adorable! I’m ready for a summer BBQ.

21. Cheri April 26, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks for the idea! I’m having a Monkey Luau for my daughters first birthday and wanted something fun as decor. This is perfect and not so “kiddie” for all the adults.

22. Cheryl of Bliss! Weddings Market April 26, 2010 at 12:53 pm

such a simple project and the result is gorgeous! i’ve got to make these at least once this summer – thanks for sharing!

23. Elle Sees April 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm

It’s the simple ideas that make the most impact, sometimes. Festive and cool. Just in time for tiki parties and summer parties.

24. Aidan April 27, 2010 at 1:53 pm

This is such a cute idea! Some friends of mine and I are throwing a poolside baby shower for another one of our friends and have decided to make these with her colors (white, pink, and orange).

I am just having trouble finding solid color parasol picks…

25. Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe April 28, 2010 at 6:33 am

Wonderfully clever!

26. Heather - Dollar Store Crafts April 29, 2010 at 7:54 am

You can get all the materials you mentioned (including small galvanized buckets) at Dollar Tree right now! They also have paper parasols.

@Aidan, use spray paint to paint the parasols the color you want. Open them and pick them in a styrofoam square, and then lightly spray them.

I made a lamp with a similar idea to this: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/01/cocktail-umbrella-lamp/

27. Anna G April 29, 2010 at 7:54 am

I agree with an earlier commenter, I need to know more about the teapot!

28. Kathy Peterson Inspired April 29, 2010 at 11:38 am

This craft project not only looks like fun—it will be the “center” of attention at any party! Thanks for sharing this!

29. Bea July 20, 2010 at 6:10 am

Great DIY! Made these for a bridal shower I co-hosted this weekend – they are spectacular in person! I posted pictures on my blog:

30. Genevieve Le Bel July 21, 2010 at 7:19 pm

So flipping CUTE!!!! what an awesome idea! LOVE!

31. Jomygoodness :: where passion meets planning » Blog Archive » Twenty-Ten: No. 16 (April 17 – April 23) December 29, 2010 at 1:10 am

[…] * Get inspired by this DIY table parasol topiaries on Hostess with the Mostess. […]

32. Kelli March 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I’m totally using this for my son’s beach-themed 1st birthday party! I have these great orange and yellow square containers and I’m thinking of buying the smallest kid sized craft flip flops to glue around the container. Or maybe some kind of surfboard decoration – or some of each!

33. […] kind of pot, like the clay flowerpots that Jeffery used above. Hostess with the Mostess suggests using galvanized metal buckets or colorful planters for a Cinco de Mayo […]

34. Amanda @ Frills and Frolic May 7, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Darling!!!I featured your DIY parasol topiary in my cinco de mayo round up!Thank you so much for sharing :)Amandafrillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

35. you can stand under my umbrella (ella ella, ay ay ay) « May 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

[…] via Bump Smitten, The Party Dress, Baby Life Styles, Hostess with the Mostess, Fleur de […]

36. […] Make a parasol party pom or topiary – via Hostess with the Mostess « Golf party: Liam is 1! blog comments powered by […]

37. […] 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; […]

38. DIY party parasol ideas | Chickabug November 6, 2011 at 7:49 pm

[…] Make a parasol party pom or topiary – via Hostess with the Mostess 12 COMMENTS ◄  Older Post Golf party: […]

39. Amber January 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Where did you get the drink umbrellas with no designs on them?

40. Stop decorating with boring old flowers! « Venuetastic! June 22, 2012 at 4:27 am

[…] those paper parasols can decorate more thank your drink. They can do centerpieces, wreaths, even topiaries. To get the look featured above, stick the parasols into a foam or wooden wreath and you will have […]

41. mojito mania « July 5, 2012 at 7:20 am

[…] 1. In addition to topping off drinks with a parasol, carry the parasol look over with an adorable parasol topiary. Use vases, martini glasses and other forms of glassware for a chic jewelry display. If you opt not […]

42. […] elements of the party came from inspiration that I found at HWTM, including the candy kabobs and DIY parasol wreath .  There were so many ideas from Macy’s Colorful Birthday Parade party that I used as […]

43. Fiesta Time | Label Daddy September 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

[…] Design Please has some gorgeous decorating ideas. Hostess with the Mostess has the most adorable Parisol Topiary. I don’t know she came up with it but it is […]

44. Mark June 25, 2014 at 8:21 pm

approximately how many parasols were used the the topiaries that sit on the wooden table in the image with the bowls and the pasta?