YARN BALLS are one of my favorite DIY party decor ideas for a few reasons:
1. They are SUPER EASY!
2. They are really cute & versatile (in other words they work well with so many different themes, in many different ways)
3. they remind me of one of my favorite people who also happens to love them as much as I do… the lovely Amy from Operation Shower. That’s always a bonus. =) And now for the tutorial…
DIY YARN BALLS
You’ll need: Styrofoam balls (I used 2″ & 3″ balls here), Yarn, Glue Dots, and Scissors
1. Unwind a bunch of yarn so you have a LOT to work with, but don’t cut it yet (in case you need to unwind more, which is usually the case). Hold one end of the yarn down on the ball and and start wrapping it around the ball, criss-crossing it randomly in all directions.
2. Keep wrapping the yarn around until the styrofoam is completely covered.
3. Cut the yarn and attach a Glue Dot to the end to secure it. (I usually use either Mini or Craft size Glue Dots.) Make sure to pull it tight when you secure it so it doesn’t come loose.
4. Ta da! See… super easy and super cute! These are the kind of project you can do in front of the TV or while chatting with friends… which is an especially great option when you have a bunch to do and those friends can help you out with them too. =)
Here are a bunch of the yarn balls I made recently for the Goodnight Moon Baby Shower. I love how they look all mixed together – they even make for a cute centerpiece just displayed in a bowl like this!
And here are a few of the ways I used them in the the baby shower…on the dessert table, sit-down table, chair backs, etc. (You can see the full Dessert Table for this theme here and the Tables & Decor here.)
Last but not least, here are a couple more examples of my past obsession with yarn balls: 1) used as “ice cream scoops” for a Vintage Sweet Shoppe Baby Shower…
… and 2) Paired with mini candy canes to make these “Yarn & Candy Cane” Christmas ornaments last year (the link will take you to the DIY tutorial).
Have fun with these!!