I’m not sure if it’s just me or if most of the creative/blogging world is like this, but I always seem to get to my own stuff last, because there’s always something else that needs priority attention: client work, party submissions from others, inbox, toddler, baby, husband, life in general… you get the picture. :)
Anyways, here is one such example: the dessert station from the HWTM Wonderlandia event we hosted last August has been on my editiorial calendar since… last August. *wince* I literally have been drag-and-dropping it on down the Google calendar straight through from last summer to April 2012. Yikes!
I did upload the dessert table album after the event, but with all the amazing treats from some seriously talented vendors – not to mention lots of sparkle and a bright pink & metallic gold winged pig – I’m thinking this one deserves its own post to highlight all the fun details! Here we go:
WONDERLANDIA DESSERT TABLE HIGHLIGHTS…
I did a lot of HomeGoods shopping for this event – then painted everything to match the party. The “flying pig” was one of my favorite finds! He started out off-white but was hot pink with gold wings by the time we were done with him – much better, don’t you think?! ;) And then of course every Wonderlandia needs a White Rabbit! I found a neutral/stone colored bunny statue that was given several coats of glossy white.
- A whimsical chair-shaped garden plant holder from our Royal Wedding shoot last year was also painted pink and used to hold a lollipop display. A couple other wire garden shelves (also from HomeGoods) were spray painted metallic gold and used to hold candy and favor bags.
- For the backdrop, 3 acrylic bead curtain rods from ShopWildThings.com added the perfect dose of sparkle!
- The Table Linens were from La Tavola: “Crinkle” table cloth in Fuschia and “Topaz” runner in Kelly Green
- Most of the treats were displayed on trays, vases, and tier stands that we painted metallic gold and/or embellished with faux diamond ribbon. The zebra print plates that the royal icing cookies were displayed on were purchased at Social Couture.
I sent Stevi from Hey There, Cupcake! some of the graphic elements from the invitations & paper details, and she interpreted it into a ridiculously cool design! I just about fell over when I saw it and it still makes me just as happy today. With bold black and white striped tiers, gorgeous fondant flowers and metallic gold skeleton keys, it was the perfect mix of mod-glam-punk!
Bees Knees Creative brought the skeleton keys and rabbits from the stationery elements to life in spectacular detail – the patterned rabbits looked just like they did on the invites! – and Allyson Jane whipped up truly adorable stopwatch, flamingo, tea cup, and “eat me” sugar cookies and covered them in edible shimmer!
The Marshmallow Studio whipped up some adorable shimmery “Mad Hatter” marshmallow pops! We displayed them in embellished vases filled with styrofoam covered by moss.
Two Sugar Babies created some gorgeous & vibrant fondant flowers for the cupcakes and fondant peonies for the donut tower. The peonies were attached to the donuts with diamond diamante pins, which are only $3 for a pack of 100 at Save-on-Crafts.com. (Special thanks to Paige Kepner and Jessica Wilcox for making this tower look so pretty despite all the wind!)
Tons of pink, red, and orange candy from CandyWarehouse.com filled the apothecary jars. I created labels for each of the jars and displayed them on an inexpensive old wooden bookshelf from Target that I’ve had for years. We spray painted it gold for the party to help bring it back to life. :) I also ordered a bunch of whirly pops from Candy Warehouse – both in the colors of the party and in high-contrast black & white for a pop of that same “mod punk” vibe from the cake. They were displayed in floral foam and moss filled vases that were embellished with faux diamond ribbon.
- Overall Design & Styling: Hostess with the Mostess
- Stationery Elements: Hostess Ink
- Candy: Candy Warehouse
- Cake: Hey There, Cupcake!
- Fondant Flowers (on cupcakes & donut tower): Two Sugar Babies
- Mad Hatter Marshmallow Pops: The Marshmallow Studio
- White Rabbit and Skeleton Key Sugar Cookies: Bees Knees Creative
- Stopwatch, Tea Cup, and Eat Me Sugar Cookies: Allyson Jane
- Beaded Curtain Rods (backdrop): Shop Wild Things
- Tablecloth & Table Runner: La Tavola Linen
- Tall Floral Arrangement: Heavenly Blooms