Jaime Curtis – one of the talented women behind the ultra-inspiring Prudent Baby – was kind enough to share this fabulous Mod Podge Tile Coasters tutorial with us!
The best thing about this type of project is that you can literally tailor it to any style & color palette you want… there are so many great gift wrap & scrapbook papers out there, so the sky’s the limit! Added bonus: they cost less than $5/set & made for a great gift idea too. Here goes with the DIY details:
DIY Mod Podge Coaster Tutorial
1. Purchase some tiles. I bought six of the cheapest tiles I could find in glossy white; it was under $2.
2. Trace your tiles onto your paper. I used these cute matryoshka and owl wrapping papers I found at the art supply store, but you can use any paper other than something printed on your inkjet printer (it will get all smeary):
3. Cut out the squares with an exacto knife – about 1/8″ to 1/4″ smaller then your square on each side – depending on how much tile you’d like to see as a border:
4. Apply a light coat of Mod Podge to each tile with a sponge brush, then center your paper on top. (Work on one tile at a time.) Use your fingers to press the paper nice and flat. Don’t lift it up once you get it on or it will rip and become a big ol’ mess. Let the tiles dry for 20 minutes.
5. While they are drying, cut out six squares of felt for the bottom of your coasters:
6. With your sponge brush, apply another light coat of mod podge to each tile. Let the coat dry for twenty minutes. Repeat this process five or six times.
7. When your tiles are dry, turn them over and glue the felt squares to the back. I used rubber cement, but I think tacky glue would work too. You could also use cork or those felt dots that normally go on the bottom of furniture legs.
Note: You can use your coasters the next day but don’t put anything HOT on them for a month – that’s how long it takes the mod podge to fully cure. If you apply a sealant you can use them sooner, as per the directions on the sealant. (I used Polyurethane Spray.)
You’re done! Drink up!
P.S. Also – a BIG CONGRATS to Jaime on the upcoming release of her new book – Prudent Advice – which is now available for pre-order at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Indie Bound! More info here.