Feeling Crafty? We have a super fun DIY Paper Starburst Tutorial to share with you today from party planning guru Dawn at Not Just a Mommy!
These pretty hanging stars would actually be great in any color palette and can be utilized for lots of different occasions, but since 4th of July is coming up on Monday, we thought it would be fun – and timely – to feature them in patriotic red, white, and blue!
DIY PAPER STARBURST TUTORIAL
by Dawn Smith
Supply List (makes 1 starburst)
- 8 4″ square sheets of paper, 3 each in red and white, 2 in blue. (I used copy paper in white and a text weight for the red and blue. It is little heavier than copy paper but don’t use cardstock)
- large brads (I used silver but you can coordinate any way you wish)
- 1/8″ hole punch
1. Fold a square on the diagonal in half and fold again.
2. With the fold facing down, cut through both layers on the fold (so the slits cut the paper into thirds), almost to the opposite side.
3. Open up the paper completely, large crease side up. Roll the smallest flaps together with a little overlap and tape, then flip over.
4. Repeat with the medium set of flaps, overlap and tape, then flip over.
5. Repeat with the last set of large flaps, overlap and tape.
6. This is the side view of one petal; punch holes in the front and back ends.
7. Repeat this process with the remaining 7 paper squares.
8. Attach the front of a blue petal to the back of the second blue petal with a brad, continue attaching petals, alternating the red and white petals.
9. Punch a hole in the bottom of each petal, then put a brad through the holes to create the starburst.
10. Put a brad through the ends of the starburst to pull it together.
11. Punch a hole at one tip and hang with fishing line or your string of choice, and enjoy!