The October 07 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray has a fantastic article by cooking/entertaining author Erika Lenkert on how to throw a “Heaven & Hell” party (and a very chic one, I might add!). This theme is of course appropriate for Halloween, but definitely not limited to this one occasion – it’s a fun excuse to party at any time of the year!
Erika’s article is chock full of fun ideas for this theme. A few of my favorites include:
1. Taking the stress out costume dilemmas by having guests arrive in their normal attire, then letting them choose between horns or halos that you have available to them at the door. (Horns and halos available at anytimecostumes.com for $2.50-$3 each)
2. Using red lightbulbs in the “hell” room and giving the “heaven” table an angelic look with a white tablecloth and mounds of pillow filling.
3. Creating moody red candle holders from red balloons pulled onto glass votives and cutting the excess rubber off just below the rim. (very creative!)
4. Loading up the table with lots of white treats , such as yogurt-covered nuts, marshmallows, and store-bought meringue cookies, which you can pass off as miniature white “clouds” :)
5. Placing spooky signs in the yard and creating your own gravestones from cardboard or foam.
The feature also includes some “sinfully delicious”-looking recipes for things like Sweet Balls of Fire (meatballs), Wicked Hot Wings, Sinfully Stuffed Potato Skins, Pearly Dates, Heavenly White-Chocolate Fondue, Evil “Spirits” (red cocktails), and angelic-looking Lemon Clouds (pictured above) – which feature Lemon-flavored Jell-O, angel food cake, and whipped heavy cream. (yum!)
For complete details and recipes from Erika’s Heaven & Hell party – check out the October 07 issue of Everyday . If it’s no longer available at your local stores or news stands, you can order back issues of Everyday for $4.99, which includes shipping & handling. This issue is also currently available on Amazon . Have fun!
You can also find more fun ideas from Erika on her GlamNest blog …and you’ll see her here at HWTM again soon with an upcoming giveaway featuring her fantastic book, “The Last Minute Party Girl “! Stay tuned…